Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Local Groups

A few days ago, I attended a meeting of the local genealogy club. They are called Roots and seem to be a nice, friendly group of people.  Some of the members have been doing genealogy for many years and some have just started digging into generations.  One of the things I just had to smile at was the fact that we all have similar stories.  A relative that doesn't want to share the one and only picture of an elusive ancestor, gestapo like guardians of the courthouse records, and finding a hidden nugget of information in a most unlikely place.

I don't have any ancestors that I know of in this area but that isn't going to keep me from doing research here.  One of the reasons I wanted to join this club was because they know all about the libraries around here and what is in them.  There is access to records from all states at some of them and two Family History Centers close by.  Once I've gotten the information I discovered on my last trip organized and entered in Family Tree Maker and my next steps planned out, I'm heading out to one of them to do some research.

It was good to meet some other people interested in something that I'm interested in and make some new friends.  I'll go back next month and whether I have anything new to report, I'll enjoy visiting and sharing experiences and maybe even get some advice on where to look next for that brick wall I'm sure to have encountered.

Every family has skeletons in the closet and hidden treasures waiting to be found; I hope to discover  all of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment